When I knew I had to have a myomectomy I started buying dresses. I was told that it would be uncomfortable to wear pants since my belly would be swollen. It was a hopeful time. I had thought that this surgery would cure my infertility and I would be pregnant in no time and those dresses would come in handy. Little did I know that those dresses would be the only thing I could wear because the surgery did not cure my infertility and I gained so much weight that I could no longer fit into my work pants or jeans.
When I was given the okay to exercise again, I didn't because although there was no proven fact that running would hurt conception, I didn't want to chance it. And so I continued to buy dresses and flowy tops because I refused to spend money on bigger pants. I kept justifying these purchases on the hope that I would be pregnant soon. When that didn't happen I started to realize that some of these dresses and tops just made me look pregnant and that if I wore them people would start asking if I was expecting. So I started a putting them in a drawer. It became my Secret Stash of tops and dresses that I would wear when I am pregnant.
It feels kind of dirty. I'm hiding away clothes. My husband doesn't know about this drawer. I could put these clothes in my drawer with the rest of my clothes that I do wear but I don't. They have their own drawer and it's an exclusive club. Only future pregnancy clothes can go in there. I don't intentionally buy these clothes. They're not from the maternity section. I just wanted to find tops that were loose enough to hide my muffin top and dresses that I could wear to work. They just didn't look right when I got home and were too cute to return.
So there, I confessed. I have a Secret Stash. Anyone else willing to come clean?
I have something along those lines: a box with knit toys for my someday baby. Does that count?
ReplyDeleteI do and I feel guilty every time I see them hanging in the back of my closet.
ReplyDeleteI do... have for quite some time. They are interspersed with my clothes though so you wouldn't know just looking at my closet (I'm sneaky that way). But I even have this dress that is probably maternity (I didn't look at the tag because I didn't want to know) from a friend who I traded a bag of old clothes with to go through. It is horrible on now, I mean huge and horrible. But I just KNOW it would be adorable on a big pregnant belly. Shhh, it's perfectly hidden behind my normal dresses :)
ReplyDeleteI had a whole plastic tote of things. It started as a little box. A few shirts that after I bought them I realized were too big, but would work when I got pregnant. A crib sheet that was too cute AND on clearance - how could I pass it up? A couple of sleepers, because they were on sale and so very sweet. It kept adding up until I had to get a bigger box. I used to pull that box out and take all the things out one by one. Looking at them and thinking about "one day". Our "one day" was different than I expected (no pregnancy, but adoption instead). But I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one who had a secret stash.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you inspired me to post about this topic. And I did link back to you - hope that's okay!
Deletehttp://lessonsfromaninfertilesocialworker.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-secret-stash.html
I had my gall bladder removed a month before we got married. We decided we'd start as soon as I had recovered so I figured those maternity pants would be more comfortable than my regular pants since it went over 3 of my 4 scars.
ReplyDeleteFast forward a few years and I had a pretty impressive collection of really neat shirts, a few dresses, even a jacket. I got most of them from the thrift store so I figured, why not? I think that wardrobe was actually larger than my "normal" one.
Then when we got certified for foster care, I had to make room for the assorted clothes since we had a range from 0-6. I ended up donating the clothes. I had held on to that hope for so long that it was out of style.