TTC History

Thursday, February 23, 2012

IVF Consult - More Waiting

The consult went very well.  The RE, let's call her Dr. A is everything I had hoped for an RE. She took her time, explained everything, very thorough and answered all my questions. She was straight forward and overall a nice doctor to have.  She explained hormones, IUI, injectable cycles and IVF. It was very informative. 

The result is that she doesn't recommend IVF right now.  She recommends we do a monitored cycle of IUI with Clomid. Based on my medical history and hubby's she feels that this would be the best thing to do. I have always felt that my OB didn't do enough. I was never monitored and my first 3 cycles were unmedicated (natural - a new term I learned today).  I'm okay with her recommendation. What I am not okay about is that I will again be waiting.  She has to get back to my regular clinic/insurance with her findings and get approval to continue with this next step which may take 2 weeks. More waiting. The title of this blog couldn't have been more appropriate. One more thing, if we did IVF our out of pocket expense would be $4,500. 

Oh and I also have a UTI. I woke up at 2:47 AM with a very familiar burning sensation and urgency to pee. Since I have recurring UTIs,  my doctor prescribes an extra bottle of antibiotics for me to have at home so I can take it on onset. He still requires me to call him so he can diagnose me properly just to make sure that it's not a kidney infection. He called right after I got out of my IVF consult. Good timing. I guess some things do work out. 

As for where I am in my cycle. I actually don't really know.  I could be between 3-4 DPO. Since I will be in another waiting period I will continue to enjoy running and wine.

Before I end this post, I wanted to ask you guys about your thoughts on my IVF consult. I would totally appreciate if you guys had any thoughts or maybe if there is some thing that I didn't take into consideration. Please let me know what you think.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your appt went well and that you like your RE - I can't tell you how important this is!!!

    As for her recommendations, I would certainly try the medicated IUI first. They know their stuff and if they think it's worth trying I would do it. They will monitor you closely and be much better than your OB.

    You have the facts on IVF now too so you know what that involves if you end up pursuing that route. Best wishes to you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am new to your blog and just catching up. It sounds like you had a great consult. As far as IVF, the only thing I would say is that I think it's fine to wait if your test results (AMH, FSH, etc.) are all normal, but if there's any concern I would move straight to IVF. My doctor recommended that I go to IVF immediately but I delayed because I wasn't mentally ready and I kind of regret that.

    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do - and one medicated IUI cycle is certainly worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found an RE that you can talk with and like. That's a huge step! I'm also glad the appointment went so well.

    Regarding the waiting, I don't think doing IUIs equals more waiting, I think it's the best course of action. The monitoring will give you a lot of information and you'll be able to determine what needs to change along the way (if anything). Also, there are many people you are able to conceive with IUI. IVF just gets a lot of press, but in reality it only small percentage actually needs to go that route.

    So don't be discouraged. The fact you made the appointment, kept it and formulated a plan is huge. And you should feel proud for taking charge. Hugs to you and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, all there is is more and more waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the RE is saying sounds reasonable, as frustrating as that can be. I'm glad you really feel like you can talk with her. Good luck!!

    ICLW #6

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like your consult went great. One thing I want to say, and every office is different so you'll have to feel it out, but with my current RE, he was very much of the mind that I directed what steps I wanted to take next. Of course, I've been trying on my own and have had three natural IUIs. But rather than say, Oh we want you to do 6 IUIs before IVF, or something like that, it was pretty much whenever I was ready for IVF they were more than happy to accommodate. With that said, perhaps if this IUI cycle doesn't work (fingers crossed it totally does!), you could always just say to the Doc, Look, I'm ready for IVF, I want to try it, it feels like the right time and the next step, can we give it a try? In other words, I went to the RE assuming there would be a set plan laid out for me to follow, but really it was me calling the shots and setting up the plan. It was a little scary at first, but now I'm grateful for it. I just started my first IVF cycle, and I am 100% positive it was the right decision and the right time. Good luck with your IUI!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just started following your blog and we share so many similar feelings, doubts, ups and downs! I too don't feel my OBGYN didn't do enough. We did two rounds of clomid 50 mg in October and November and aside from doing cd 21 bloodwork I was not monitored at all! We have met twice with our RE and she too recommends IUI so we start next month! The ups and downs are so hard to deal with, so ride the ups as long as you can, look forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete